Friday, December 02, 2011

Bad mood day (Day 22)

Every morning needs a little adventure.


But not the kind of adventure where Carl picks me up in Whitey's car and wants to see how accurate the gas gauge is. Whitey's Ford has an indicator that lets you know how many kilometres are left before you run out of gas. When Carl got me we had four kilometres left. But instead of going straight for gas he figured we would be fine to head to RNA first to pick up the mascot suit.


To add to our worries (just mine to be accurate, since Carl obviously had very little concern), neither of us knew why Whitey had asked us to pick up the mascot suit. And I am pretty sure I speak for both of us when I say that we thought our days in Buster the Bandit were over. As it turned out the suit was for someone else. Relief.


When we made a wrong turn in our attempt to get to the Showgrounds, Carl decided it would be a good time to find a gas station. We were down to two kilometres remaining in the tank and he showed a little worry. I found the closest one with the GPS and we made it just in time. So it turns out that Carl was right. No reason to fret. Just making life a little more exciting. Living on the edge. Also, gas here is referred to as 'petrol'. I don't know if I mentioned that yet.


Even though Carl put petrol in the tank, the indicator was still counting down on us. That made us question the whole idea that we really were on empty. And it didn't really do anything to assist in my worry. But I just figured that despite what the car was trying to tell us, I didn't think Carl had missed the tank when he put gas in, so we would be fine for a little while.


It was enough for us to get to the ballpark, pick up the mascot suit and to get to the office. And we made it without any more adventure, save for the moment when Carl tried to change lanes and couldn't see out the rearview because of Buster's giant head. That was nearly a disaster but a quick swerve to stay in our lane saved our lives. Oh that Carl, pretty much like Superman.


At the office Carl had to give me a lesson on putting up articles and game stories on the Bandits website. Despite everything I learned at the Gold Coast when we had our meeting there, I still didn't hold the capability of doing it on my own. It was not a fun lesson though because I was being pretty rude. I'm sure Carl didn't appreciate that but he had a break from me when we all had to stop and gather for a staff meeting.


I guess he didn't really have a break from me since we were both there but at least we were joined by Whitey, Gonzo and Alan. The most important part of the meeting for me was when we got to talking about garbage. One of our points of discussion was the fact that we are trying to save money on the cleaning of the stadium. This had come up before and I was super excited at the idea of picking up the trash. So we went through it again and I will continue to look forward to getting rid of the rubbish (that's Australian). Carl and I are going to be in charge of the stadium sweep at the end of each game. More of me for Carl. I'm sure he's excited about that. Good thing he gets a break from me this weekend when the guys head to Sydney.


After the meeting we continued our lesson on website management but my bad mood wasn't impressing Carl. I figured my mood was because I'd missed breakfast and I was hungry so he thought we should get some food. Unfortunately I ran out of bread at home so there was no peanut butter toast to be had this morning. Even though Carl didn't believe me, I really think lunch changed my outlook on the day. There really wasn't anything else wrong with me that might explain my earlier demeanour. I told Carl it was just because I'm a girl. We do that sometimes. He seemed satisfied with that answer.


We went to a sushi place for lunch which was really good and actually not very expensive relative to sushi at home. Still expensive of course, but a better choice for us than having Subway or Cut in Half again. Carl made a huge mess and somehow wound up with soya sauce all over his hand without even noticing. This of course set off uncontrollable laughter in me and all was right in the world again. Carl pointed out that things like that were reasons he has trouble taking girls on dates in which they would have a meal and I can definitely see that. Poor guy. Still has to learn to eat.


Post-lunch I got to transcribing the interview I did with SJ on the way home last night. The best part of the recording was when I'd found a bug on  my seat and I threw it in the front seat on Sean. The soundtrack mostly consisted of me laughing, Carl asking why I would do such a thing and begging me to get it out of the car and SJ telling me the interview was over. It was pretty hilarious. And when I got the bug out of the car, the interview continued.


So I finished transcribing, with a small break to make Carl come and listen to the bug escapade, and started writing. I was really motoring through and actually getting work done when I was a little bit interrupted by a visitor to the office. The visitor's name was Mike I think and he wasn't there to see me. But when he was finished talking to everyone else (and he was a talker), he came to me and it was the beginning of a long conversation.


He asked me where I was from and when I said Toronto he told me that he used to work for the Blue Jays. I mentioned that was interesting because I just so happen to work for them now. At first he underestimated me, because he asked if I'd ever heard of Bobby Mattick. Really? I just told you I work for the Jays and you wonder if I've ever heard of Bobby Mattick? Mattick was one of the first managers of Toronto, starting I believe in 1980 after Roy Hartsfield. He is also the person after whom the Bobby Mattick Training Center is named. Big surprise on that one, huh? The BMTC is the Blue Jays minor league training grounds in Dunedin, Florida.


Mike proceeded to then mention Gord Ash, and wonder if I'd heard of him. Come on man. When I brought up the fact that Ash is Canadian and currently Assistant General Manager with the Milwaukee Brewers I think he began to believe that I might actually know something. What really got him was when he brought up Moneyball and he mentioned the guy who played David Justice in the movie. Since I have actually interviewed that guy, Stephen Bishop, I happen to know all about him and his minor league career and more, so I was finally on my way to convincing Mike that I'm not a complete moron.


When we moved onto a discussion of statistics and then to cricket I'm pretty sure I surprised him. I do know a little bit. And I got to use my wealth of knowledge on the subject of cricket finally. Before I left home to head to Australia I got in touch with one of my buddies from school who knows everything there is to know about cricket. He actually knows everything there is to know about most sports but cricket was what I called him for. I made him explain as much to me as he possibly could and it appeared tonight as if I had retained some of that information. And I secured my spot in the not-as-dumb-as-I-look category.


Eventually Carl and Whitey had to interrupt the conversation by packing up their things. The three of us were heading to Gonzo's place for dinner because earlier in the day we were all sent this awesome email:


Hello All,

I would like to invite you to my place for PIZZA & BEERS..

Location:  Gonzo's Casa
Time:  6:30 pm
Dress:  Casual
Address:  ** Robe St. Grange Q. 4051


I hope to see you there.



So the conversation was stopped and we were on our way to Gonzo's place. I'd never been there and I don't think Carl had either, but it was nothing new for Whitey. The Gonzalez palace was really a palace. It was a beautiful house. Apparently after Gonzo's wife was finished doing PR for the Bandits, where she met her husband, she became an interior designer. I am sure there was some more stuff in between there but the point is, she is a fantastic interior designer. The place was awesome. I should have asked to take pictures, but maybe I'll wait until I've had a month here before I start to creep people out.


The house was very open and had a mix of old and new. The ceilings and floors are all original (from like 60 years ago maybe) and the furniture is from all over the place. Some stuff from the States, some from Australia, some ordered from elsewhere. I'm not very good at describing spaces, or people for that matter, but it was awesome. And they have a pool, which happens to have the boys' (they have two sons) balcony (the boys have their own balcony) right above it. I warned Gonzo that they would eventually be jumping from that thing into the pool and he seemed to think that it wouldn't ever happen. So I told him that my friends and I used to jump from my mom's roof into her five-foot-deep pool (sorry again about that mom). Just because something is a bad idea doesn't mean that teenagers will recognize that fact. And even when pointed out, it doesn't mean they're listening. So Gonz has a couple years before his four-year-old and his 10-year-old figure it out.


When we got the pizzas Gonz had ordered I ate more than anyone. Must have been that whole missing breakfast thing. And the fact that the pizza was absolutely delicious. Best meat lover's ever. It was from a place called Crust and I will happily be headed there for more sometime soon. I think I likely ate a large pizza pretty much to myself.


My favourite part of the night and probably my favourite part of every time I am around Gonzo, was/is when he talks about baseball. He has great stories and he's played all over and seemingly with everyone. The guy played in Australia, Taiwan and Japan, he's played with Ichiro and Michael Jordan and against Shannon Stewart...what hasn't he done? I definitely want to hear more about his time in baseball up until now. It almost seems a waste to have him in a front office position. He's extremely smart, he knows the game, he sees things that other people don't see, and then he's working the desk. But he loves the game and I'll listen to whatever he has to tell me.


Whitey gave me and Carl rides home on his way back to meeting his girlfriend for dinner. He couldn't stay out too late the night before leaving her for several days for Sydney. But I got home in time to finish my story on SJ before lights out for me.


I thought a little bit more about maybe heading to Sydney since Gonzo had decided to drive and had room in his car, but I am still hoping that Chalk wants me to work this upcoming weekend, despite not having heard back from them since I sent away my availability. But the prospect of making money is more appealing than the idea of spending it, so I think I've firmed up my decision to stay in Brisbane. I'll be lonely without the boys of summer but hopefully I can get some work done on my own. It seems better that it will just be a boys trip too. The guys have had to be with me every single day that I've been down under. Maybe we all just need a little break and they can do manly things (or not) and I can do girly things (unlikely).


I am trying to get into the habit of making friends other than Carl though. He shouldn't have to have a ball and chain with no benefits. Somehow though my only friends seem to be American people. I have been talking to Durket about maybe hitting the beach sometime or coming over to swim after working at the field one day next week, and SJ and I pretty much have firm plans for Christmas since neither of us has anyone else to spend it with. That sounds bad. I'm sure he's a great Christmas buddy.


And Whitey convinced Julie (Kleenex) to invite me out with her this weekend so if I don't work at Chalk on Saturday I will be going to a party with her. The game recaps may have to wait until I get home from said events but I will get them out. I have some leads on friends now so I have to pursue them obviously.


And tomorrow I'll be on my own for the first time since I've been here. Yikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.