Tuesday, December 13, 2011

A Bandits win (Day 32)

I wasn't away from the RNA long before I was back and picking up more garbage. I'm just living the dream over here, so don't mind me.


I showed up a little early which was probably a mistake, knowing that Carl would most definitely be late to come and help me. So I got started on my own, getting out a pair of gloves and a bunch of garbage bags, and picking up the trash. Carl likened our new job to that of a convict on the side of the highway, and I would have to say yes, it is very similar. However, we have chosen this job as an attempt to make some money and we don't have to wear orange jumpsuits. So we're way ahead.


Carl eventually showed up and helped me with the remainder of the pop bottles, beer cans, food containers and other junk around the place. When we were done with that, I was back to scrubbing down the seats with a sponge and mop water while Carl took the leaf blower to the stands. Whitey had shown up with Carl too, but the whole time we were there, he was talking to Peter Wermuth, the CEO of the league. Peter had arrived at the park shortly after I did and I had no idea who he was at the time. To me, he was just some guy walking around in a suit while I picked up rubbish in my garbage-collecting clothes.


When we had finished it was slightly past lunchtime, and Peter had mentioned to Whitey that he was hungry, so Whitey somehow got him to agree to go on a lunch run. Burritos for everyone. When we sat down to lunch I was first introduced to Peter. I'm pretty sure the first words he spoke to me were asking me if I was going to write something for Baseball America on the ABL All-Star Game. Nice to meet you too. I suppose he's just very focused.


The burritos were good as usual and then it was time to get back to work once again. We had apparently received a complaint from the umpires of last night's game about our back net and so we had to do something about it. The net is a little bit too long and hangs with extra material where it touches the ground. When the MLB guy came in to check our grounds he said that we would have to put something along the bottom of the net to prevent guys from coming in and getting their cleats caught in it and causing a disaster. For the first home series we just put up extra black mesh along it and everyone was none the wiser. For this series though we had tarps with advertisements on them and we hung them along the net.


The problem last night though was that balls were getting stuck inbetween or underneath or something and they were getting lost. It took awhile to come up with a solution but someone figured it out eventually. We have extra plywood from what was used for the footboards on the outfield fence, and the pieces are quite large. So we took some of them, screwed them together, and placed them inbetween the net and the tarps, so the tarps are still usable and (hopefully) balls won't escape. The process of doing this was not as easy as it sounds, and it was more time-consuming. Somewhere along the line, I asked if I could leave to go home and shower and everyone seemed to be okay with that. I probably looked like I needed it.


Carl also had to shower the excess garbage off of himself and didn't want to do it in the "grimey" confines of the showers at the RNA (his words, not mine...I've never seen them), so he used the shower at the apartment while I dried my hair. He got to shower in a cleaner place, and I got a ride since he took us there in Whitey's car. Good combo.


On our way out of the park we first ran into Gonzo who had a bat in his hand. I asked what he was doing with it and he said something about using it as a hammer because it was garbage anyway. I said I would take it, and he handed it over. I am now the owner of a Joel Naughton broken bat. I was swinging it around and waiting for Carl when we ran into the other team. The Heat were trying to get into their locker room or something and the coaches came over to talk. The manager, Brooke Knight, asked about the bat and then asked about Joel Naughton. I think he was trying to get team secrets out of me but I didn't have any to give. I am not privy to any pressing information. I barely even know who's starting the games an hour before gametime.


When I was standing around talking to the guys  from Perth I also mentioned to Graeme Lloyd that I would come back and talk to him after I had showered. I didn't want to subject him to what was going on with me at the moment and he seemed fine with that. And when we got back I did just that, after waiting for Perth to finish up their batting practice.


I probably only recorded about five minutes or so of question-asking and conversation with Lloyd but we sat out in right field foul territory talking for a long time. Lloyd talked about his experience in Toronto and mentioned that he'd just sold his place there last year. He actually had two places in Toronto and he still has one in Palm Harbour, Florida, right near Jays spring training in Dunedin. He is heading to spring training to help out the Yankees, so it's not that far from where they play in Tampa either. But we had a good chat and I think I got what I needed from him. I'll know whenever I start transcribing I suppose.


The start of the game was delayed due to rain but we were still anticipating playing. It is the Ballpark Buster that we're talking about after all. During the delay the Heat started playing a game of cricket in right field, using a baseball and normal bats, which I thought was pretty awesome. In fact, it took mostly all of my willpower to stop myself from running out on the field and asking if I could play with them. I wouldn't have been able to handle the rejection if they said no though, so that helped deter me.


The appearance by the Queensland Reds helped distract everyone from the rain for a little while I think. They took batting practice (they should stick to rugby) prior to the delay and then stayed around signing autographs and taking pictures with fans for awhile.


Before the game got underway I decided to lend a helping hand in removing the sandbags and tarps off of each of the bases and the mound. I got mud all over myself. On my legs, on my shorts, my shirt, you name it. So much for that shower. It was worth it to get the game started though. No one cares about my muddy shorts but me and everyone wanted to see the game happen, so what am I whingeing about?


When the game finally happened, it was like a light turned on for the Bandits and the offense exploded. They scored 18 runs with five long balls, but they gave up 10 in the end. Too bad they couldn't have just spread the offense out a little more over the last six games and/or not have blown five saves. But it was (hopefully) a momentum starter and now the team can continue on the right track next weekend against Adelaide. It has to be a good feeling to know that at least Perth was taking the plane home on a sour note. See ya later Heat.


Carl came in to run the soundboard for me once again, but this time I had to repay the favour by writing the game recap. It wasn't that hard though considering all the good things I had to write about on the Bandits side. I haven't gotten much of that in the last few stories I've written on their games. But it was an awesome win and it brought a few guys' batting averages up. Every starter in the game had at least a hit, a run and an RBI.


To cap it off were the post-game fireworks. Carl was spending all of his time trying to find fireworks songs instead of proofreading my story so we could send it to the media, so that delayed my process a little bit. And when he finally managed to get Katy Perry's 'Fireworks' to play, the actual display of fireworks ended. It was a sad moment for Carl. And hilarious for me.


The highlight of the night though was probably when Carl messed up the music. He left it playing too long and people had to turn and point it out. He also happened to play the wrong song. Durket had just come in the game, and Carl definitely did not play his walkout song. Annnnd it just so happened that Durket gave up five runs and two walks on the night. Coincidence? Blame Carl. Better yet, the reason it happened is because we happened to be receiving beers at the time. So if anyone turned around at the end of the game because the music was playing too long, it was for a good cause. Right?


After the game I ran into Durket's host family once again. I think I've talked to them now more than I've talked to him. They asked about my plans for Christmas and then invited me to spend it with them. His host mom kept saying that she didn't think I would actually take her up on the offer, but she would leave it on the table. They're so sweet.


Before we headed out, Carl and Whitey and I had another beer each and then proceeded to Carl's place to drink even more. I definitely had too many. I just can't keep up with the big boys.


I'll feel that pain tomorrow though, when Carl and I said we would be back at the diamond for cleaning at 10 in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.