Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Christmas Eve (Day 46)

Everyone started to stir after Zane woke up. He had tried to start cleaning up the room, but quickly gave up.

Then Chambers told all of us that we had 20 minutes before we had to check out. To that, Whitey’s response was, “Really Steve? Checkout time is 9:40?” I thought that was kind of hilarious but the truth was, we didn’t have long to get up and get out. At least we had everyone we started with though. No missing persons. Bonus points for us.

We packed up our stuff and were quickly on the road. Czech and Zane were in Whitey’s car with him, and SJ, Maestri and I were with Chambers. Somehow the three guys who don’t know each other managed to group themselves together. 

Our plan was to find a McDonald’s for breakfast and Chambers told Whitey he would lead the way to the closest one. That didn’t exactly happen.

When Chambers realized where the closest one was (not close at all), he changed his mind and decided to take us to the ‘nicest’ one. That’s right. I said the ‘nicest McDonald’s’. I was as confused as you are. The best part was that we all knew Whitey was starving and just wanted to get somewhere to eat and grab a drink. Because Chambers had a specific place in mind, we passed a whole bunch of other suitable restaurants along the way. Whitey was definitely wondering what we were doing, but he kept following us anyway. Chambers and the other guys in our car thought it was hilarious. I was pretty hungry myself.

When we finally made it, we saw why Chambers chose this specific location. It was right on the beach and had a great view. But we were just there to eat so it seemed like he had put far too much effort into it. It’s the thought that counts though. From there we headed back to the Gold Coast, to Chambers’ house. Our plan was to take the jet ski out and do some tubing. All the beaches were closed because of rough water or something so we couldn’t do it in the ocean but Chambers said we would be fine if we just stayed on the body of water that his house backs onto, which I believe would be considered a river.

Whitey and Maestri went out with Chambers first and I was happy to have the time to just lie down. I don’t do very well with hangovers. It’s probably part of the reason why I never drink at home. I have obviously become a different person here though. Before this week I don’t believe I had ever drank two nights in a row. Last night was definitely numéro trois (that’s French for number three...you’re welcome). What has become of me?

SJ and I were next on the docket. SJ was first on the tube and I could barely even stay on the jet ski when he was out there. I didn’t figure I had a chance on the tube. SJ went three times, stopping each time when he would fly off the tube. Each departure looked more awkward and more painful. In his final turn, he definitely did a full somersault in midair before landing on the water face-first. I was obviously eager for my turn.

I had trouble straight away. I couldn’t even pull myself up onto the tube. As I have mentioned several times, I am lacking in upper-body strength. Also, being short lends itself to short arms, which I would like to say were a factor in my lack of success. Eventually, Chambers had to start the jet ski and kind of pull me up while towing the tube along. I did get up there though. I stayed on for much longer than I thought I would and my first exit wasn’t nearly as painful as SJ’s looked. I would consider myself lucky.

In my third attempt though, after having to be essentially lifted onto the tube by SJ because I couldn’t do it myself, Chambers told me to sit in the tube as opposed to lying on top of it. I didn’t trust him at first but I did it anyway. It was fun for awhile, until we started going around in a giant circle. I was probably traveling at the speed of light, or at least that’s what it felt like. When I finally flew out of the tube, I smashed my head on the water, though the pain in my jaw took away from the pain of my legs hitting just as hard. Tubing is not good for a hangover. Before we went back, SJ tried to take a turn sitting in the tube but it lasted all of five seconds before he was out.

When we were back at the house we all sat around for awhile, contemplating more tubing and then talking about leaving and heading home. It took us awhile but eventually Whitey, Maestri, SJ and I left. I fell asleep on the drive, and I only know that because my bobbing head woke me up several times. It’s been a long few days.

SJ got dropped off first and we talked about Christmas. He asked if I still wanted to go with him to some brunch with a family of strangers and of course I said yes. I don’t want to be alone on Christmas. SJ met the family because he gave their kids pitching lessons. I guess that warranted a Christmas invite, and since we’d agreed to hang out on Christmas so that neither of us would be alone, I was a part of the plan. He tried to give me more details but I was in no condition to deal with them. We decided to talk about it again later.

Whitey made an attempt to take Maestri home, but first we stopped off at the office so he could get his package that Julie’s mother had sent. Wrapped nicely for Christmas was a baseball book. What else would it be? Whitey had received The Art of Fielding from Julie’s mom. It’s a fictional book (as far as I know) about a baseball player and some of his teammates (I think). I might have to borrow it when he’s done with it.

Instead of taking Maestri home, Whitey then dropped him off at the train station. It was easier and Maestri had offered so it made sense. And I was home soon thereafter. It was nice to be back. I showered and got dressed in anticipation of heading to the grocery store for some food. It was then that I realized that I was without my wallet. I called Whitey first because I was hoping I had left it in his car. No luck. I called Chambers and of course it would make sense that I would leave my wallet an hour away, in his car on the Gold Coast. Why wouldn’t I do that?

Chambers told me that he would come and bring me my wallet. I felt bad but he said he had to come near here anyway. I am fully aware that he was probably lying but it made me feel better, so if that was his goal, it worked. He said he would be around in awhile, so I would have a wallet sometime in the near future. I tried to tell him he didn’t need to come but I was happy that he was going to. I had nothing without my wallet. No cash, no cards, not a thing.

I also had no food since I came home to old bananas, mouldy bread and stale Corn Flakes. The more I thought about it, the hungrier I became.

Helping to distract me from myself was the Bandits website. I took to writing a story about what the Bandits are doing for their holidays and what they will get up to with their time off. I asked the players such questions in the email I sent to everyone, and a good six or seven guys responded. That’s enough though. I tried to get the story on the website on my own, and obviously I couldn’t do it. I’m still waiting for the day when I can do something on my own. I had to get Carl to help me with the photo and putting it on the website and that was a long process. The story didn’t go up until late but here it is.

When Chambers finally came with my wallet I was super hungry. I felt really bad that he had to come all the way here to drive it to me but I was extremely grateful. He told me he knew what it felt like to be in a foreign country with no money and he didn’t want me to have to go through that. How sweet is he? He asked if there was a cafe anywhere near my place because he needed some caffeine for the drive home and I felt bad that I couldn’t even point him in the right direction. I also felt bad that I didn’t have anything to offer him, but seeing as I don’t even have any food and I don’t drink coffee, there weren’t many options inside the apartment.

Almost as soon as he left, I was at the grocery store. I got a bunch of food and then ate most of it, since I am incapable of shopping for more than one day at a time. I really need to work on that.

SJ and I secured our plans for the morning. I had some trouble trying to figure out the transit I needed to get to where we were going but SJ was helpful. He sent me a map and directions and everything. I still wasn’t sure I was going to be able to follow them but it put me ahead of where I would have been on my own. We have to be at the stranger family’s house at 8:30ish in the morning so that doesn’t give me a lot of leeway in not getting lost. And because we have an early morning ahead of us, that means early bedtime for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.